Skip to main content

I am doing field experience for a Masters course at an alternative school.  I am working in the intensive reading classroom with 6th-8th grade middle school students.  The school serves children from fourth grade through age 21.  More than half of the students are in the school because they have been permanently expelled from their designated school.  Most of the remaining students are temporarily expelled from their designated school.  

What I have a discovered after six hours in the classroom is that every student has most likely suffered several adverse childhood experiences.  I have discovered that most of the staff have no knowledge of ACEs.  Even though they realize some children have "bad home lives" they really don't know anything about those  home lives.  For instance, the teacher I am working with told me that during a disciplinary hearing a student told the hearing board that his father had sexually molested him so he had to fight another student because of the threat that student made.  This shocked and saddened the staff.   But somehow there's no consciousness that the reason most of the children are disruptive and have been expelled is because they most likely have had a lot of bad things happen to them.  The behavior management system is atrocious ...primarily it is in school or out of school suspension.  Having said all that, these teachers seem to have an affection and dedication to their students.  I feel confident that I can present information to the administration and teachers about ACEs.  That might result in the teachers thinking first what happened to you instead of what's wrong with you.  I don't have a lot of hope that it will change the school discipline practices.  

My question is, is it harmful to middle school age children to inform them about ACEs?  In my short time, I already know that several of the students have really bad experiences with stepparents, with abandonment, with family violence and with abuse and neglect.  In the three weeks I've been there,  6 of 13 students in the classroom have been suspended including one student who set the bathroom on fire.  Today, I presented Dr. Dan Siegel's hand model brain demonstration to three boys.  We talked briefly about telomere shortening from trauma and stress from the bad things that happen to a person.  We talked about how those people suffer a lot of sickness when they grow up and often die earlier.  The three boys immediately identified themselves as people who would die early.  Then we talked about how our brain heals and when our brain heals it helps heal our body.  We talked about how healing the mind.  We talked about doing mind hygiene every day.  Then we did a short mindfulness exercise.  I didn't open Pandora's box.  When one of the boys or the other indicated some hint of abuse or neglect, I did not ask them any questions or delve into their personal story.  I'm not there to be their therapist and I'm not qualified to be their therapist.  However I'm there to be the teacher and we can't get to the lessons and I know why.  

So what should I do?  I would love to hear your take.

Thanks. 

Donna

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I wouldn't go into telomere length or that experiencing lots of adversity could make you die 20 yrs earlier due to immune, brain, and hormonal changes in the body --- not with 11 - 13 year old kids.  I don't think that would be really hurtful, I just think it would be too abstract and not really helpful and the death thing could scare some kids who are likely living already with a lot of rage/shame/and fear--who may have also actually experienced death --- due to domestic violence or a violent community or otherwise.

I would discuss with the kids how it is normal to feel betrayed, to feel angry about real injustice that has occurred to them.   I would give a compassionate response that shows that you understand the anger, the rage, the real betrayal by adults who make rules for children to follow but who don't play by those same rules themselves and that you understand even the sense that children will have about the injustice of people in the school who may sense that the kids have "lots of bad things happening at home" but those adults aren't doing anything about this.  Kids feel adults are supposed to care and support them and there can even be rage (appropriate rage I must say) at school teachers who don't want to know or care or share in the child's pain that will lead to more acting out.. It is normalâ€Ķ.. Why should I (a child) follow the rules of adults who don't care about me?  Not only that, I am really mad, no one cares about meâ€Ķno one will protect me, i never feel safe, I am not safe.   Kids need adults to teach affect regulation  which a compassionate response and mindful activities can help do --- a punitive approach will never help nor will it give kids what they need and deserve. Adults who stay calm help kids to stay calm.  Adults who are compassionate with kids help kids to become compassionate. 

I would go to this website, mindfulkids and learn some of the activities and start doing some of the activities with the kids: https://mindfulkids.wordpress.com (I would even refer the teachers to it and the kids could do some of this at home --- I might refer the teachers to it by example--- as you share with the kids some of the teachers may become interested in what you are doing).

i would share the trauma toolbox with the teachers and look for a great video from Harvard Center on Toxic Stressâ€Ķ.

http://www.aap.org/en-us/advoc...ma-Guide.aspx#trauma

I would bring the modified Spokane ACEs handout for parents to the school teachers and give it to all of them   https://www.pacesconnection.com/...andoutJan2015-v2.pdf . I would have them see the article Jane wrote about Lincoln School http://acestoohigh.com/2012/04...-expulsions-drop-85/

And most importantly when working with the staff, I would do everything in small stepsâ€Ķ.. Educate slowly so it has time to sink in.  The lack of awareness in our society is as massive as parched earth  in the Mojave Desert and the kind of educational down pour I describe would only become a torrent in a flooded river leading out to sea.  Educate like gentle rain so the knowledge and understanding can slowly change long held ideas and beliefs and punitive approaches to hurt kids can be respectful to trauma's effects on kids and compassionate in speech, thought and action.

I have another concern here.  "Shocked and saddened' is not the correct response of staff to a boy who tells them he was sexually abused at a discipline hearing.  All teachers are mandated reporters to Child Welfare.  Now maybe this boy has already been reported but it sounds like there is a lot of suspicion for abuse in several of these kids --- and where there was past abuse there is likely present, current ongoing abuse. This is an ethical dilemma--- teachers and probably you in your role are Mandated Reporters to child welfare.  Teachers are supposed to report suspected abuse and neglect to CPS. Abuse cannot ethically be ignored. No you aren't the therapist but do these abused kids even have a therapist at all or will they if no one brings up the concerns that are evident to all? I know how hard this is, it is something many of my colleagues in medicine try to avoid.    I think this is something this school needs to think about, are they following their ethical, moral and legal responsibilities?  (Now I know CPS is no panacea and that reporting in itself is a traumatic process). 

Also school districts are mandated through IDEA to develop IEP's for social-emotional development (though I have seen few that seem to know how to do this correctly and the process is confusing to me). http://www.parentcenterhub.org/repository/schoolage/
http://www.parentcenterhub.org...s/repo_items/gr3.pdf

Please also remember (if you have any -- but I doubt you do as this is an alternative school -- but those boys and girls who are very quiet, shy and won't play and at times won't even move --  those kids who look like they are working at being invisible -- you may not even notice because they have become so good at being invisible -- no one notices --- they are likely very hurt too).   

I actually think with education that helps the teachers / administrators come to their own conclusion that their current punitive practices are actually not effective in bringing out the positive changes they truly want for their students and allowing them to see that with a compassionate approachâ€Ķ. they can actually accomplish the positive changes they would like to seeâ€Ķ. I bet you can get people to sign onâ€Ķ...
Last edited by Former Member

Update

I am doing guided relaxation and Dan Siegel's hand brain model with the kids.  The first three boys said they felt relaxed and liked the hand brain. The teacher told me they told her they loved it and she wants me to do the same thing with other students.  Friday, I will work with some other kids.  I am making a calm down box as a gift for the classroom.  I am also printing the Lincoln article and the Spokane  handout for the Principal.  I am going to offer to provide a teacher in service even though I am mildly apprehensive about that.  I am going to follow your advice Tina. Going to go slow so they can draw their own conclusions.  However, I overheard a teacher suggest a trauma informed practice for dealing with out of control kids...he wasn't "heard" but he may gain voice if other teachers learn more about trauma.  

Add Reply

Copyright ÂĐ 2023, PACEsConnection. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.