Welcome to the COVID-19 and ACEs Science Collections for Parents!
We have four topic-specific resource lists related to COVID-19 and ACEs Science. All four will be updated for as long as this pandemic lasts. They are as follows:
- ACEs in Education & COVID-19
- COVID-19 Resources for Healthcare Providers
- Parenting with ACEs in a Pandemic
- Practicing Resilience During Social Distancing
We hope these lists, and the resources, practices, and information in them, are helpful and easy to use. Please let us know,by commenting on this post or below any of our resource collection posts.
P.S. For updated medical and public health information about COVID-19, visit:
- 1-Pagers & Short Videos for the Whole Family
COVID-19 Fact Sheet for Grandfamilies and Multigenerational Families
5-pages with lots of resources.
COVID Resilience Strategies for Teens
Video: 8 minutes
Click to play.
How to Talk to Kids about Coronavirus (For Parents)
This page links too many other great resources and activities for families.
Just for Kids: A Comic Exploring the New Coronavirus / NPR modified for Scarlett Middle School
Short video with information that is made for and by adults and children.
Video: Click to view
Resilience & Protective Factor Initiative
Machhelle Madsen Thompson, Ph.D., LCSW
- Children & Families Coronabrief ABC's: here.
- Children & Families Covid-19 Resilience Brief 2.
Protective Factors: here (right)
- Resilience for Children and their families: Overcoming fear during COVID-19: here
- Resilience for Children & Families: Supportive Beliefs during COVID19: here
- Children & Families COVID19 Resilience Brief 6: Problem Solving: here
Resources for Families During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Common Sense Media
One example of the resources available is The Parents' Ultimate Guide to Google Classroom. There are lots more broken down by these three categories:
Taking Care of Your Family During Coronavirus & Other Emerging Infectious Disease Outbreaks
Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress
PDF: Click to view/download.
Fighting the Big Virus: Trinka, Sam, and Littletown Work Together
National Child Traumatic Stress Network
Story available in English, with more languages to come.
National Child Traumatic Stress Network
Available in multiple languages, related to parenting, activities for children, support for teachers, support for teenagers, ect.
- Safety & Support
ACEs AWARE Resources
ACEs Aware supports health care providers, their teams, and all those on the front lines of administering care and interventions as California addresses stress and anxiety related to COVID-19.
Coronavirus Tracker: How Justice Systems Are Responding in Each State
The Marshall Project
Track how states are responding to COVID-19 in terms of family visits and court proceedings. Also, a place to share news about changes in policies and procedures (tell us about it here).
COVID-19 - Racial Equity & Social Justice Resources
Racial Equity Tools Organization
COVID-19 Racial Equity & Social Justice list is organized as follows:
- Resources and Tools
- Healing and Community Care
- Organizing and Solidarity
- Resource Building & Rapid Response
- Virtual Work and Online Engagement
- List of Lists
Info for Parents Impacted by COVID-19 + Child Welfare
Compiled by Keyna Franklin
- Visiting by Video or Phone
- Families Under Stress: Strong Starts Court Initiative in NYC, provides information about toxic stress and trauma, as well as strategies to use to stay calm.
- Accessing Your Family's Basic Needs: The Educational Alliance is sharing information about housing issues, utilities, wifi, mental health needs and fun with kids.
- Parent-to-Parent Guide to Support Services: Even though in-person support is on hold in many places, this parent-written booklet from Rise shares how families coped with stressful circumstances. Contact Rise.
- Several categories as follows:
- Sheltering in place
- Information for Family & Friends of Families Experiencing Violence at Home
Love in the TIme of Coronavirus: Inequities and Supporting Children
Balancing ACEs with HOPE Community
Bob Sege interviews Dr. Danielle Laraque-Arena
“Meals for Kids” interactive map
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service
The “Meals for Kids” interactive map directs people to local sites where kids can get free meals. The site finder currently lists more than 20,000 meal sites from 23 states, and more sites will be added as states submit data each week.
The map is available in both English and Spanish.
- Coping and Staying Emotionally Well During COVID-19-related School Closures
- Managing the Stress of Living at Home for College
- Taking Mental Health Advocacy Online
- Tips for Staying Mentally Well While Working From Home… From People Who Do It Regularly
Acknowledgment and reporting on the long-time work of disability rights advocates, survivors, and peer support workers as well as specific initiatives, and pandemic-related events serving diverse and marginalized communities online.
Parenting During Coronavirus: You are Enough
PBS Kids for Parents
Many great reminders for parents feeling stressed, stir-crazy, or as though failing expectations.
- Key Resources
- DACA Updates
- Calls to Action
- Donations (Contribute or Apply)
- Relevant News
Resources for Supporting Children’s Emotional Well-being during the COVID-19 Pandemic
Authors: Jessica Dym Bartlett, Jessica Griffin, & Dana Thomson
Suggestions to support families as well as resources and links for parents and caregivers.
Supporting Survivors’ Access to Substance Use Disorder and Mental Health Services During the COVID-19 Emergency
National Center on Domestic Violence, Trauma & Mental Health
Trauma-Informed Parenting during Our Social Distancing (PDF) & Tips for Trauma-Informed Parents during Social Distancing (Video Series) by Ginger Healy
Attachment & Trauma Network
PDF (For Parents): Click to view/download.
View Part 1
View Part 2
Nurturing Children During Times of Stress: A Guide to Help Children Bloom
As a parent or caregiver, there are ways you can help your child handle intense stress. This guide has nurturing tips and resources that can protect you and your child from the effects of intense stress. These ideas will also help you connect with your child.
Emotions can be overwhelming, like a storm, but learning to express emotions in a healthier way can make these difficult times less stressful. This guide can help you and your child weather emotional storms.
We The Unhoused Podcast
Podcast by and for those who are homeless with information and what that means during this pandemic.
Podcast: Click to listen.
5 Weeks of Self-Care Empowerment
Using email and Marco Polo (easy and free video-based tool) to share short videos in a closed but and interactive group. For more information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID -19 Injury & Violence Prevention Hub
COVID -19 Resources for Kids and Families
Dr. Bessel van der Kolk offers tips on how to help children and adults cope with Covid-19
Trauma Informed Parenting
Cultivating Resilience and Compassion in an At-Home Schooling Environment
Trauma Resource Institute
Children's Mental Health Fact Sheet
Wisconsin Office of Children's Mental Health
COVID-19 Special Edition: Domestic Violence and Shelter in Place
The Brain Architects Podcast
The Relentless School Nurse: "We're Going to be O.K."
The Pandemic Toolkit Parents Need
- Not Sure What I Need: Show Me a List
Mental Health and COVID-19 – Information and Resources
Mental Health America
An astounding range of resources compiled and these are just some of them:
- Medication Access During COVID-19
- Coronavirus Anxiety—Helpful Expert Tips and Resources
- COVID-19: Potential Implications for Individuals with Substance Use Disorders
- COVID-19: Accessing Critical Medications for Your Loved One
- COVID-19: Mental health in the age of coronavirus
- COVID-related Mental Health and Recovery Resources
- Dermatillomania During COVID-19
- Free and Low Cost Support for Individuals Living With Eating Disorders
- Frequently Asked Questions on Mental Health, Mental Illness, and COVID-19
- Managing Stress and Anxiety related to COVID-19
- Mental Health Considerations during COVID-19 Outbreak
- Mental health and wellness during a public health crisis
- Protecting Your Mental Health During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Resources for the OCD and related disorders community during the COVID19 outbreak
- People with Disabilities, Medical Conditions & Older Adults
- Shrink Speak: COVID-19 Crisis
- When Home Becomes The Workplace: Mental Health And Remote Work
- COVID-19 Ancillary Costs
- Facebook Small Business Grants
- Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Information Sheet
- Bridge Club
- Phone Meeting Resources for Substance Use Disorder
- In The Rooms
- Disaster Distress Helpline
- Crisis Text Line
- The Trevor Project
- Trans Lifeline
- Dial 2-1-1
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- The National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline
- Caregiver Help Desk
- The Partnership for Drug-free Kids Helpline
- Caring for someone at home during COVID-19
- National Alliance for Caregiving
- Do Your Part to Stem COVID-19: An Intergenerational Call to Action
- Older Adults & Isolation during COVID-19
- Staying Safe During COVID-19
- 9 Strategies for Quarantining in a Non-LGBTQ+ Affirming Environment
- COVID-19 Resources for Veterans from the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs
- Fact Sheets on COVID-19 in Spanish and Other Languages
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Situation Report from the World Health Organization (WHO)
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public
- Preguntas y respuestas sobre la enfermedad por coronavirus (COVID-19)
- American Psychological Association (APA) Resources on Pandemics
Coronavirus — COVID-19
- Stop the Spread of COVID-19: Free Public Health Fliers in 30+ Languages
- A Guide to COVID-19 and Early Childhood Development by Harvard University
- Bedtime Meditation for Parents & Kids
- Trauma-Informed Resources Available During COVID-19 Quarantine
- How to Use Lockdown to Fix Family Dynamics - Simi Loundon Kim
- Great Video for Kids and Parents on How to Deal with COVID-19
- Choosing Love in the Time of COVID-19
- Low Income Children and Coronavirus Disease in the US
- Systems Transformation for the Better Normal: Follow Up Slides and Call Recording