The City of San Diego COVID-19 Housing Stability Assistance Program helps to pay past-due, unpaid rent and utilities for individuals and families with low income in the City of San Diego who experience financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Households with income at or below 80 percent of San Diego’s Area Median Income ($92,400 per year for a family of four) may qualify if they are obligated to pay rent, have experienced a reduction in income or other financial hardship due to COVID-19, and are at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability.
Priority will be given to households with income at or below 50 percent of AMI ($57,750 per year for a family of four) and households with at least one adult who has been unemployed for more than 90 days immediately before and including the date of the application and have past-due rent.
The program can pay 80 percent of a tenant’s past-due, unpaid rent for the period of April 1, 2020, through March 31, 2021, but only if the landlord agrees to waive the remaining 20 percent. If a landlord does not agree to these terms, the program can pay 25 percent of the tenant’s past-due, unpaid rent to the tenant.
The program is required to give priority to paying past-due, unpaid rent. If a qualifying household has both unpaid, past-due rent and utilities, the program can provide assistance for both at the same time.
However, if a household is requesting help with only unpaid, past-due utilities or upcoming rent, the program will be able to provide assistance only if funds remain available after payments have been made for past-due rent for qualifying households. If funds remain available, the program can pay up to 25 percent of the tenant’s upcoming monthly rent for April 2021 through June 2021.
For more information on the City of San Diego COVID-19 Housing Stability Assistance Program, please refer to the following or call (619) 535-6921:
For help with your application, contact one of the following Community-Based Organizations (CBO):
- Casa Familiar (619) 333-6824
- Chicano Federation (619) 285-5600
- ElderHelp of San Diego (858) 380-5341
- Logan Heights Community Development Corporation (619) 858-0563
- Partnership for the Advancement of New Americans (PANA) (619) 363-6939
- The San Diego LGBT Community Center (619) 692-2077
- Serving Seniors
- Union of Pan Asian Communities (619) 255-7644
- Urban League of San Diego County (619) 266-6256
- San Diego Refugee Communities Coalition (619) 793-9019
- Haitian Bridge Alliance (917) 496-2248
- Horn of Africa (619) 583-0532
- Refugee Assistance Center (619) 793-9019
- Somali Bantu Community of San Diego (619) 283-3956
- Southern Sudanese Community Center of San Diego (619) 788-6511
- The Karen Organization of San Diego (619) 582-0783
- United Women of East Africa Support Team (UWEAST) (619) 501-7804
- 2-1-1 San Diego (619) 535-6921
Applications may be submitted by the landlord on behalf of the tenant. To submit an application on behalf of your tenant, go to “Create a Landlord Account” to begin the registration and application process.
This project is being supported, in whole or in part, by federal award number ERA302, awarded to the City of San Diego by the U.S. Department of the Treasury.