Hot off the presses, here's the link to a publication released today by the CDC Preventing Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs):Leveraging the Best Available Evidence to help states and communities prioritize efforts to prevent ACEs.
This resource features six strategies to prevent ACEs drawn from the CDC Technical Packages to Prevent Violence:
- Strengthen economic supports for families
- Promote social norms that protect against violence and adversity
- Ensure a strong start for children helping to pave the way for them to reach their full potential
- Teach skills to help parents and youth handle stress, manage emotions, and tackle everyday challenges
- Connect youth to caring adults and activities
- Intervene to lessen immediate and long-term harms
These strategies focus on changing norms, environments, and behaviors in ways that can prevent ACEs from happening in the first place as well as to lessen their harms when they do occur. The strategies are intended to work in combination and reinforce each other to achieve the greatest impact.