Join the National Academy of Medicine (NAM) on November 29 as it hosts the first webinar in its Culture of Health Webinar Series.
Date/Time: November 29, 2018, 4:00 – 5:00 pm EST
The National Academies reportCommunities in Action: Pathways to Health Equityidentified 9 social determinants of health and how these determinants impact our health and the health of our communities. The report also defined health equity as the state in which everyone has the opportunity to attain full health potential and no one is disadvantaged from achieving this potential because of social position or any other socially defined circumstance.
Health equity is crucial and health inequity is costly. All actors in society—residents and community-based organizations, in partnership with businesses, state and local government, anchor and faith-based institutions—have the power to change the narrative and help promote health equity. But where and how can communities begin to unpack the social determinants of health in order to achieve health equity?
Join the NAM for a one hour webinar where field leaders will explore the meanings of both social determinants of healthand health equityand what it means to apply these terms to enact change in the real world.
- Discuss how public health officials and others working in communities conceptualize the terms social determinants of healthand health equity and how this knowledge is applied to their work.
- Explore the Bay Area Regional Health Inequities Initiative’s (BARHII) Framework for Reducing Health Inequities and the Initiative’s approaches to working with partners to create healthy communities.
- Provide an overarching perspective of how communities are addressing the social determinants of health and health equity while highlighting the City Heights neighborhood of San Diego, California.
Audience Q&A will give webinar attendees the opportunity to engage with the webinar speakers.
Webinar speakers include:
- Otho Kerr, Partner ofEncourage Capital, LLC and Advisor to the Culture of Health Program (Moderator)
- Renae Badruzzmaman, Program Manager, Health Equity Investments and Business Systems Integration,Bay Area Regional Health Inequities Initiative(BARHII);
- Steve Eldred, Senior Program Manager,California Endowment
The webinar is open to the public and will be hosted on Zoom. Please register on this page. Webinar login information will be sent to you prior to the webinar. Each webinar will be archived and materials will be posted on theCulture of Health Programwebpage following the event.
Questions? Please email Ivory Clarke atIClarke@nas.edu.